POPS GUSTAV, Hoboken NJ
7 THINGS THAT I DID ENJOY IN 2007
1) NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN. Best film I saw in ’07, no contest, Friend-o.
2) THE SOPRANOS. Especially the cut to black. Genius.
3) the Shins, WINCING THE NIGHT AWAY. Maybe the only album I loved start to finish all year?
4) Cowgirl Hall of Fame. Dozens of visits, Hundreds of margaritas, tens of All Chopped Ups. Yum.
5) Pickle Licker. Nothing made me laugh harder or longer or more times in ’07 (for better or worse).
6) THE SPIRIT by Darwyn Cooke. Simultaneously updating and respecting Eisner’s legacy.
7) JOURNEYMAN. I’da watched it even if my friend Gretchen weren’t one of the stars. It’ll be missed.
7 THINGS THAT DROVE ME BATTY IN 2007
1) God. As in, a fantasy that is the most powerful force in our politics and culture right now. The mind boggles.
2) The administration. The cowards in Congress. The candidates. I grieve for our future. But it’s our fault, now, isn’t it?
3) Rewarding Stupidity. Chris “Leave Britney Alone!” Crocker and that stupid Miss Teen Whatever USAmericans idiot and Sanjaya… they deserve to fade away after the laughing stops, not development deals and guest spots on TV shows.
4) The Writer’s Strike. Hey, greedy multinational corporations making money off the internet: It’s simple: PAY THE CREATORS FOR THE PRODUCT FROM WHICH YOU PROFIT.
5) Judd Apatow. An overrated one-note hack whose sporadically funny output is a mask for a truly reprehensible conservative proselytizing.
6) the American Health Care Industry. An oxymoron if ever there was one. They do not care.
7) My chronic lack of focus and drive.